The efficacy of collagen peptides in supporting joint health is supported by an extensive body of scientific studies. Safe and natural, collagen peptides are the body’s own building blocks for cartilage, and an ideal health supplement not only for the older generation but also those who frequently engage in repetitive sports such as running or cycling. 'Collagenx' collagen peptides offer unique and well demonstrated benefits and are increasingly used as the key active ingredient in successful joint health product formulations.
CollagenX hydrolysed collagen contains 18 amino acids, the building blocks of our tissues and the primary component of proteins. Glycine, proline and hydroxyproline represent around 50% of Collagenx hydrolysed collagen total amino acid content; the glycine and proline concentration in our hydrolysed collagen is 10 to 20 times higher than in other proteins. As a result, Collagenx hydrolysed collagen offers health benefits that cannot be found in other protein sources.
Maintaining healthy joints
- The WOMAC score is the international standard method for assessing joint health clinically in patients
- Collagenx hydrolysed collagen treatment resulted in a statistically significant reduction in the WOMAC score by a -22% linked to a 32% decrease in joint pain and 44% improvement of stiffness (subscale scores).
Improving Joint Function
- The Lysholm score is linked to improved knee movement in everyday activities,
- Collagenx Hydrolysed Collagen treatment resulted in a statistically significant increase of the Lysholm score by 7% which demonstrates the improvements over time.
Stimulating Chondrocytes (cartilage cells)
- CollagenX Hydrolysed Collagen treatment clearly stimulated the expression of aggrecan and type 2 collagen by the joint cells.
Cartilage-regenerative and anti-inflammatory effects of Collagenx
Cartilage-regenerative -it preserves cartilage area during osteoarthritis development
Chondro-regenerative - it stimulates chondrocyte proliferation (increased number) and stimulates proteoglycan synthesis.
Anti-inflammatory - it normalises synovial thickness and reduce production of the inflammatory marker TNF.
Calcium, vitamin D and protein are the key bone health nutrients. Collagen is essential for improving bone flexibility, which helps bones absorb impact. As a pure protein, CollagenX collagen peptides work together with calcium and vitamin to support bone health.
In a survey conducted by the US Council for Responsible Nutrition in the US, it was found that 29% of respondents take supplements to improve their bone health, 36% of those were over the age of 55. Younger audiences are also looking to protect their bones preventatively, the survey reported that 17% of those who replied were aged between 18 and 34, and 31% were between 35 and 54.
Restoring Bone Mineral Density
- Collagenx Hydrolysed Collagen treatment restored bone mineral density (BMD) in the experimental group to the normal level. In contrast, the control group had a reduced BMD.
Improving Bone Strength
- Collagenx Hydrolysed Collagen treatment increases ultimate bone strength compared to the control group.
Stimulating Osteoblasts (bone cells)
- Collagenx Hydrolysed Collagen treatment promoted the formation of bone-forming cells (osteoblasts) and stimulated their activity. In contrast, the presence of bone-resorbing cells (osteoclasts) was suppressed. The control protein (BSA) did not show the same effect.
- Jiang J.X. et al., 2014, Collagen peptides improve knee osteoarthritis in elderly women: A 6-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Agro FOOD Industry Hi Tech, 25:19-23
- Rousselot unpublished data, 2011
- Dar, Q. et al., 2017. Daily oral consumption of hydrolyzed type 1 collagen is chondroprotective and anti-inflammatory in murine posttraumatic osteoarthritis. PLoS ONE 12(4):e0174705
- Guillerminet, F. et al., 2010, Hydrolyzed collagen improves bone metabolism and biomechanical parameters in ovariectomized mice: An in vitro and in vivo study. Bone, 46:827-834
- Guillerminet, F. et al., 2012, Hydrolyzed collagen improves bone status and prevents bone loss in ovariectomized C3H/HeN mice. Osteoporosis International, 23(7):1909-1919
- Daneault, A. et al., 2014, Hydrolyzed collagen contributes to osteoblast differentiation in vitro and subsequent bone health in vivo. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 22:S131
- Daneault, A. et al., 2017, Biological effect of hydrolyzed collagen on bone metabolism. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 57(9):1922-1937